Lacrosse Suffers First Loss, 13-12 at Beloit

Lacrosse Suffers First Loss, 13-12 at Beloit

BELOIT, Wisconsin – Sophomore Harrison Davies scored three goals as the MSOE lacrosse team nearly overcame a four-goal deficit in a hard-fought 13-12 loss to Beloit Wednesday evening at Strong Stadium.

The Raiders (4-1, 0-1 MLC) suffered their first loss of the season, coming at the hands of the Buccaneers (3-1, 1-0 MLC) who had won a share of the league regular-season title in 2017. The teams played a one-goal game for the second time in three seasons.

MSOE trailed 10-6 shortly after halftime and pulled within one goal on three different occasions over the final 18 minutes of regulation but could not find the equalizer.

In addition to Davies, nine other Red & White players found the back of the net. Senior Clay Gustafson had a goal and three assists while seniors Oliver Winsor, Oliver Kennedy, sophomore Collin Fischer, and freshman Quinn Erdmann each had a goal and an assist.

The game was tightly played with Beloit holding a narrow 42-40 shot advantage but ground balls (27-27) and turnovers (16-16) being even on the night.

Senior Pat Collins made nine saves in the match.

The teams alternated goals to open the scoring before the Buccaneers netted back-to-back goals in the final two minutes of the first quarter to take a 4-2 lead. The Raiders then played catch-up the rest of the night.

Davies opened the scoring in the second quarter but Beloit countered with consecutive scores. The home team then matched each Red & White goal throughout the half, taking a 9-6 lead into the intermission.

MSOE dominated the third quarter, outshooting BC 13-4 and outscoring it 4-2. The Bucs scored first to open a game-high four-goal advantage at 10-6 before Davies and senior Thomas Reid answered with back-to-back goals in quick succession. After another Beloit score, Winsor and Erdmann closed out the period with goals to make it 11-10.

In the fourth quarter, the tide turned some with the Buccaneers holding a commanding 12-4 shot advantage. Never-the-less the Raiders countered each of their goals in the final quarter, with Fischer making it 13-12 with 5:32 remaining.

Davies had a pair of shots after that point, looking to tie, but hit the post with 1:12 remaining and went wide with 28 seconds to go. BC then cleared the ball and held on for the win.

The Raiders return to the field Saturday, hosting Fontbonne at 1 p.m.